We have an awesome opportunity for y’all. The State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) will be hosting the Utah Preservation Conference in conjunction with the Stewardship Get-Together here in Salt Lake City on June 8-9. Stewards are free and can participate in any and all parts of the event.
Here is how it will shake out:
Thursday, June 8th
3:00 pm – 9:30 pm
Fort Douglas Military Museum at the University of Utah
Steward and family-only night at Fort Douglas! The State Historic Preservation Officer, Chris Merritt will be giving private tours of the historical fort. There will also be tours of the Fort Douglas Military Museum. After this we will have a social up at the fort’s historic theater. We have the whole theater to watch an old time-y film and learn about its unique connection to Utah’s past.
Friday, June 9th
8:00 am – 6:00 pm
Columbus Center School in South Salt Lake
The Site Stewardship Track at the conference will include:
- Multiple Perspectives of Stewardship – This will be a fascinating panel discussion where we will learn from incredible individuals who are members of communities engaging in ongoing stewardship.
- Historic Firearms and the Material Culture of the Utah War – Come learn from an expert: See and experience historical weaponry and material culture for the Utah War.
- Current Archaeological Research – This session is designed to help participants stay up-to-date with ongoing archaeological research around the state.
Friday, June 9th
Starting at 4:00 pm
Various Salt Lake City Locations
Two Field Trips for Stewards and Family Only:
- Tour 1. Combating Looting On Federal Lands – This event will provide UCSS Stewards with the unique opportunity to learn from the BLM Museum Collections Manager about the proactive actions the BLM is taking against looting. These efforts have resulted in increased Archaeological Resources Protection Act investigations, and the recovery of looted artifacts. We will discuss these collections, the impact to archaeological resources due to looting, and current work to make the collections accessible to the public through curation around the Southwest.
- Tour 2. Take a tour of the Utah State Capitol – This tour will provide you with a unique behind the scenes opportunity to experience the historic Utah State Capitol. A member the Capitol Preservation Board will be giving stewards a private tour throughout the building, included but not limited to: the earthquake safety system, the Gold Room, the Governor’s Office, and something most people never get to see, a trip up to the Rotunda.
As UCSS Stewards you are of course welcome to participate in any of the sessions/activities going on at the conference. Here is a link to find out more and to register. Please reach out with any questions and we look forward to seeing you there!
How to Register:
Once you have registered for the Historic Preservation Conference, we will be in contact with you to find out if you would also like to be registered for the Get-Together the night before on June 8th.
If you only want to attend the June 8th Get-Together, please reach out to Lexi Carson at email@example.com so that she can register you!