National Register in Utah: A Year In Review


2023 was a busy year for the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in Utah! In total, the Utah National Register Committee reviewed 22 nominations for various actions. Of those a total of 13 were nominations, two were multiple property submissions and (unfortunately) six were delistings of NRHP properties that have been demolished. 



So, let’s break down the NRHP actions we had for the year. Of the 13 listings, only five were individual buildings. Those were the Natural Bridges Visitor Center (San Juan County), the Butler School Teachers Dormitory (Cottonwood Heights), the Salt Lake City 15th Ward Meetinghouse (SLC), the Perry and Agnes Fitzgerald House and Cabin (Draper, which was an updated nomination), and the Leonard-Taylor House (Farmington). 

It was a great year for historic district nominations--there were five districts that were reviewed and four that were listed (one is still under review), accounting for 1,182 contributing properties! The four historic districts that were listed are: the Brigham City Historic District, Tooele City Downtown Historic District, the Mountair Historic District (Salt Lake County), and the Aultorest Memorial Park Historic District (Ogden). The Westwood Village Historic District (West Valley City) is still under review at the NPS. 

Regarding nomination that weren’t individual buildings, there were two larger sites that were listed, the Thompson Family Farmstead (Spanish Fork) and the Little Bell Mine Site (Park City). There were also two newly approved Multiple Property Submissions (MPS):  The Settlement Era Buildings of Farmington MPS and the Historic Mining Resources of Park City MPS. 

And last but not least, we had two objects that were listed, the Sugarloaf (DIXIE) Hillside Sign in St. George and perhaps the most interesting listing this year, and the one that has received some nationwide attention, the pink Dine-a-Ville Dinosaur in Vernal!

So, a productive year it was for National Register listings! If you’re interested in nominating your property to the National Register of Historic Places, please contact the Utah SHPO for more information.

Individual Buildings


Natural Bridges Visitor's Center


The Natural Bridges National Monument Visitor Center built in stages from 1966 through 1968
at Natural Bridges National Monument, San Juan County. The building is a significant representation of the National Park Service’s renowned Mission 66 development program, as well as the NPS's eduction programs from the same era.


Learn More

Butler School Teachers Dormitory


The Butler School Teachers Dormitory, built in 1929 in Cottonwood Heights, is a two-story brick English Tudor style building.It is significant for its association with the growth and

development of the Butler School and the Jordan School District in the Salt Lake Valley. The building is also significant for its contribution to a rare experiment in providing housing to encourage educators to live and work in sparsely populated areas of Salt Lake County.


Learn More

Salt Lake City 15th Ward Meetinghouse


The 15th Ward LDS Meetinghouse, originally constructed in 1904, is a three-story brick
Victorian Gothic building in the English Parish Church Gothic tradition with two Art Deco style
additions built in 1929 and 1949. It was the primary and final religious facility for one of Salt lake City's original wards from the settlement era. It is architecturally significant for its combined English Parish Church Gothic Revival and Art Deco styles of architecture and retains a high degree of integrity.


Learn More

Perry and Agnes Fitzgerald House and Cabin


The Perry and Agnes Fitzgerald house is a one-story brick cross wing, built circa 1870, and classically styled with Victorian-era details. The Fitzgerald cabin, built circa 1851, is one of the oldest extant log buildings in Utah. It is architecturally significant, not only for its age, but also its unusual size, height, and construction methods. The house and cabin are locally significant for an association with the settlement of Draper in the pioneer era.


Learn More

Leonard-Taylor House


The Leonard-Taylor House, in Farmington, Davis County, Utah, is a 1.5-story dwelling originally constructed ca. 1863 with a ca. 1898 cross-wing addition. A cross-wing type, it is significant for its combination of Classical and Victorian styles. It is also significant for its early owners, the Truman and Ortentia Leonard and John W. and Nettie Taylor families.


Learn More

Historic Districts


Brigham City Historic  District


The Brigham City Historic District, located in Box Elder County, Utah includes 1807 buildings. The district is significant for its unique presentation of the principles of the “Plat of the City of Zion.” It is also significant for its excellent representation of well-preserved Classical, Late Victorian, Bungalow and World War II/Minimal Traditional residential, commercial and civic architecture.


Learn More

Tooele City Downtown Historic District


The Tooele City Downtown Historic District is significant for its role as the primary center of non-industrial commerce in the city, and the local region. It is also significant for its diversity of architectural types and styles of primarily commercial and public buildings, with a few inclusions of good examples of the earlier dwelling types in the area.


Learn More

Mountair Historic District


The Mountair Canyon Historic District in Salt Lake County is locally significant, architecturally and historically, as an excellent representation of an early recreational and second-home area for prominent business LDS Church families in mountains east of Salt Lake City.


Learn More

Aultorest Memorial Park Historic District


The Aultorest Memorial Park in Ogden is composed of two sections. The Mountain View portion of the cemetery,originating in 1883, is significant as the first private, predominantly non-Latter-day Saint cemetery in Ogden. It’s also an example of the Rural Cemetery Movement. The neighboring Mount Ogden/Aultorest Memorial Park section opened in 1929 with Weber County’s first mausoleum opening soon after in 1930.


Learn More

Sites


Thompson Family Farmstead


The Thompson Family Farmstead, just outside of Spanish Fork, is a multi-resource property
that includes a stone house (built 1899-1901), a large barn (1910s-1930s), and nine  contributing outbuildings. The agricultural significance of the property is represented by the intact condition of the buildings as well as the farmstead as a whole. It also happens to be one of only a few firefly habitats in the state.


Learn More

Little Bell Mine Site


The Little Bell Mine Site in Park City is significant for its association with the mining history of Park City. From the discovery of ore in 1880 and resolute exploration starting in 1901, the small mine was profoundly influenced by local and national events and its fortunes swung with the boom-and-bust cycle that is always present in industrial mining. All that remains of a once larger operation is the restored ore bin and waste tailings pile.


Learn More

Multiple Property Submissions


Settlement Era Buildings of Farmington


The Settlement Era Buildings of Farmington Multiple Property Submission provides historical context and registration requirements for Settlement Era buildings dating from 1847 to 1896.


Learn More

Historic Mining Resources of Park City


The Historic Mining Resources of Park City Multiple Property Submission provides historical context and registration requirements for mining-related properties dating from 1868 to 1982.


Learn More

Objects


Sugarloaf Hillside Sign


The Sugarloaf Hillside Sign site, originally painted in 1915, is part of a prominent sandstone
rock feature in the Navajo Sandstone formation just north of St. George. It is significant for its social history as a commemorative object. And, even though it was constructed originally for Dixie Academy and maintained by the students and faculty of the later Dixie High School, it has also evolved into a symbol for the entire city.


Learn More

Dine-a-ville Dinosaur


The Dine-A-Ville Dinosaur is a metal frame and fiberglass statue constructed in 1958
in Vernal. The statue stands approximately forty-feet tall and is located beside Main Street/US-40 at the eastern city limit. The sculpture is significant as it represents the growing local awareness of automobile tourism facilitated by an expanding network of federal highways post-World War II. It is also an excellent example of American roadside sculpture and vernacular art from the era of postwar automobile tourism.


Learn More

Inspired to list a property?


Each of these listings came about through the passion of Utahns just like you! If you want to learn more about how you can list your own property to the National Register of Historic Places, click the button below.


Learn More